Thursday, May 14, 2009

Simple But Delicious Salad


My friend Jen gave me this salad recipe years ago and we eat it all the time. It's one I always go back to when I want something simple that everyone will enjoy. It compliments a flavorful main course really well so it's easy to pair with most anything.

Simple But Delicious Salad

1 head romaine
1/4 cup pine nuts, toasted
Parmigiano-Reggiano, shaved into long swirls with a peeler (much prettier than pictured)

Dressing
2 cloves garlic, boil for 10 minutes then mash into a paste
2-3 t Dijon mustard
3 T white wine vinegar
1/4 cup olive oil
juice from one large lemon wedge
1/4 t salt
Freshly ground pepper

Combine ingredients in a small jar and shake until you get a creamy texture. Toss dressing over salad and serve. I like to set aside a few pretty pieces of cheese for the top of each salad plate if serving it as it's own course.

No comments: