Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Exercise During Pregnancy


I know a lot of women, myself included, who've had questions about exercise when they're pregnant. I know my first time around I did a lot of research and asked a lot of questions to find out what I could and couldn't do, where my heart rate should be and if I could continue to do the classes I had been enjoying so much.

Most responses were that you can continue to do what you've been doing - so if you're a runner, continue to run, if you love spin classes, yoga or swimming, continue to do those activities. The biggest warning is that you just shouldn't ramp up your exercise routine (obviously) or start a new sport or type of fitness program once you get pregnant. A lot of people/websites say you need to keep your heart rate at or below 140. Some say it's okay to go higher if you've been training at a higher level for some time. Some say continue to work out at the same rate/pace that you did before you got pregnant so long as you can pass the "talk test" (can you talk while you're exercising or are you too out of breath?). And some say that it's more important to watch your body temp and not to overheat.

I'm sure anyone with an opinion would say that it's also important to make sure to stay well-hydrated.

A friend who is newly pregnant recently asked me about the heart-rate situation and I didn't have a solid answer for her since I've heard such a wide range of opinions on it. She did a little googling and found this Q&A on the Mayo Clinic website...
.
Question: Exercise during pregnancy: Is heart rate a concern?

I exercise frequently and also teach water aerobics. Now that I'm pregnant, I've been told that I shouldn't let my heart rate go over 140 beats per minute (bpm). What happens to me or my baby if my heart rate exceeds 140 bpm?

Answer: from Roger W. Harms, M.D.

If you exercised regularly before your pregnancy, you shouldn't be too concerned about exercise during pregnancy.

In 1983, the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists (ACOG) originally set a guideline of no more than 140 beats per minute during exercise as a recommendation for most pregnant women. This was based on limited research that suggested higher heart rates during pregnancy may slow the growth of your baby in the womb. But further research found this only occurred in women who exercised too much and didn't consume enough calories. So exercise alone wasn't the primary problem.

ACOG now recommends 30 minutes of exercise a day for pregnant women, but doesn't make a heart rate recommendation. Doctors now recognize that every woman has a different fitness level and no recommendation could account for those differences.

When you exercise, ACOG recommends that you should be able to carry on a conversation comfortably during your workout. If you're already physically fit, you may be able to make only a few changes to your workout to accommodate your pregnancy. You should talk to your doctor before continuing your current exercise routine.

No comments: