Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Farmers Market "Chickenchurri" Dinner

I really loaded up at the farmers market on Sunday so tonight we had my father-in-law over for a farmers market feast that was, in my husband's words, "blog worthy". It melts my heart when he says that.

(Everything in green was purchased at the market.)

I was craving chimichurri sauce and was inspired by my friend Lynne who serves it over grilled chicken or fish. I opted to go with some chicken breasts I bought at the market. I like well-seasoned chicken so I decided to prepare it souvlaki-style rather than grilling entire chicken breasts. I used my chicken souvlaki recipe as guidance but used parsley instead of oregano to match the flavor of the chimichurri. Recipe below.

I got these great little Maris Piper potatoes at the market and found this fabulous recipe for Parisian Potatoes from the Almost Bourdain blog. They were really easy and we all loved them. I especially liked dipping them in the chimichurri sauce.

I can't get enough of the broccoli that's in season right now. I cook it so simply - with garlic, red chili flakes, salt, pepper and olive oil. I could eat it every night for dinner and I love leftovers with brown rice for lunch.

I bought butter lettuce, romaine, sungold cherry tomatoes and cucumber at the market so I threw together
my favorite salad with my mother-in-law's amazing dressing.

And for dessert we indulged in some vanilla ice cream and a marionberry pie from the market. Perfect refreshing dessert to top off our meal.

Colleen's Chickenchurri Dinner

2 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into small pieces
1 lemon, juiced
¼ olive oil
4 garlic cloves, minced
2 T fresh parsley, minced
½ t garlic salt
Salt and pepper

Combine all ingredients in a large Ziploc bag. Prepare as early in the day as possible. (I didn't do it until the afternoon and it was fine but the longer the better). Soak skewers in water for 20 minutes so they don’t burn on the grill. Put chicken pieces on skewers and grill on the BBQ until cooked through. Serve with chimichurri sauce (recipe below).

Chimichurri Sauce
Adapted from Bon Appetite

1 1/4 cup (packed) fresh Italian parsley (roughly one large bunch)
3/4 olive oil
2-3 T red wine vinegar
3 garlic cloves
1/2 teaspoon red chili flakes
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
juice from one large lemon wedge

Puree all ingredients in a food processor. Transfer to bowl and refrigerate until ready to serve over grilled steak, chicken or fish.

2 comments:

Erika said...

I'm making it tonight! Thanks for the great ideas!!

Erika said...

OK, had the sauce with flank steak 2 nights ago, then I made your chicken with the same sauce last night - everyone loved it!! Thanks, Coll!