Friday, July 10, 2009

The Regulars - Part 1

I have a few dinners that are in constant circulation at our house. I always assume they're in every family's rotation but decided to share them just in case you've been missing out on these quick, easy and kid-friendly favorites. Here's my taco recipe. Next up I'll post my chicken fajitas.

Tacos

For the meat

1 lb ground turkey breast
1/2 lb leanest ground beef
1 cup yellow onion, chopped
2 T garlic, minced (4-6 cloves)
2 T olive oil
salt & pepper
garlic salt
red chili flakes
taco seasoning, one or one and a half packets (I like Bearitos)

For the tacos

flour tortillas
cheddar cheese, shredded
sour cream
salsa (call me crazy but I LOVE Pace's Organic Medium Salsa)
hot sauce (we love Cholula)
1 or 2 tomatoes, chopped
1 avocado, chopped
iceberg lettuce, chopped or shredded
olives, optional
cilantro, optional

Preheat oven to 350.

Heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onion and saute for several minutes. Add garlic, ground turkey and ground beef. Season with salt, pepper, garlic salt and some red chili flakes. Saute until meat is just cooked through. Drain off any fat from pan. Combine taco seasoning with one or more cups of water. Add to pan and bring to a quick boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes.

Top tortillas with cheddar cheese and warm in the oven until the cheese melts. Remove and transfer to a plate. Top with meat mixture and pass out for each person to add their own toppings.


* You can use any combination of ground turkey and beef. I like to mix them 2 to 1 so it's a bit leaner and healthier. I always make extra meat so we have leftovers for lunch the next day. These are also quite good with hard shell tortillas.

No comments: