Saturday, July 11, 2009

The Regulars - Part 2

My husband asks for chicken fajitas a lot and it's great by me. They are really easy and very tasty. I'm sure everyone has their own twist on this basic dinner but here's my version...

Chicken Fajitas

For the meat mixture

1 - 1.5lb chicken breasts, cut into large bite sized pieces
2 T garlic, minced
3-4 T olive oil
1 yellow onion, sliced 1/2" thick, then cut in half
1 red pepper, cored, seeded, cut in slices 1/2" thick
1 yellow pepper, cored, seeded, cut in slices 1/2" thick
1 package fajita seasoning (I like Lawrys)
2 t cumin
salt & pepper
red chili flakes
garlic salt

For the fajitas

flour tortillas
cheddar cheese, shredded
sour cream
salsa (call me crazy but I LOVE Pace's Organic Medium Salsa)
hot sauce (we love Cholula)
iceberg lettuce, chopped or shredded
cilantro

Preheat oven to 350.

You can either do the chicken and veggies one at a time, or you can cook them in separate pans. I generally do them one at a time.

Saute chicken in olive oil over medium heat. Season well with salt, pepper, garlic salt, red chili flakes, and minced garlic. Set aside. Saute onions and peppers in olive oil over medium heat. Add chicken to pan. Mix fajita seasoning packet with 1 - 1 1/2 cups of water and pour over chicken/onion/pepper mixture. Bring to a quick boil and then simmer for 5 minutes.

Top tortillas with cheddar cheese and warm in the oven until the cheese melts. Remove and transfer to a plate. Top with meat mixture and pass out for each person to add their own toppings.

No comments: