Tuesday, August 4, 2009

The First of Many Peach & Blueberry Crisps


I'm not sure that I've ever had a dessert with blueberries and peaches. It's just not a combo I would normally go for. Until now....
.
It's my friend Tara's favorite fruit combo so she came up with a recipe for a peach & blueberry crisp. She's never let me down with recipes before so I gave it a try. It was one of the easiest desserts I've ever made, and probably one of the best. I loved it and I now know why she loves the peach/blueberry combo so much. Delicious! Bake this little pot of heaven while the blueberries and peaches are in season for a real treat!

I have to admit that I didn't follow her recipe to a tee. I didn't have 2 full sticks of butter so I used one and a half. Because of that I used a bit less flour, oats and sugar. It was still great. I also didn't want to lug out my Kitchen Aid but had already let the butter get soft so I just used two forks to mix it and then did the last little bit with my hand.
.
Peach & Blueberry Crisp
Recipe from my friend Tara
.
6 large peaches - pealed, pitted and cut up into chunks
2 containers of blueberries (maybe 3 cups worth?)
1-2 T sugar
2 sticks of soft butter
1 1/2 cups of flour
1 1/2 cups of whole rolled oats
1 1/4 cups packed brown sugar
cinnamon and nutmeg, optional (Tara didn't use either so neither did I)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Combine the fruit in a 9x13 pan and mix with a couple tablespoons of sugar.

In a Kitchen Aid, mix together butter, flour, oats and brown sugar. Mix this to a crumbly crust and spread over berries. (If you don't want to use a Kitchen Aid you can mix by hand and cut the butter in cold.)

Bake for about 40 minutes, or until the berries are bubbling.
.
Serve while it's hot with vanilla ice cream.

No comments: