Thursday, September 3, 2009

A Doula's Wise Words...


I hired a doula for my first delivery and loved having her for so many reasons. The minute I heard I was pregnant again I called my doula to secure her for the month of September (most doulas only take one client per month). I just had a quick call to check in with her and she gave me some tips for this time around since we have our first baby to think about....

1. She suggested that when we bring my daughter to the hospital to meet her baby brother, that someone other than me should be holding the baby. She said that I should welcome her and have her get in bed with me, then have one of the grandparents pass the baby to us while we sit together. She says this will help ease the natural instinct of the first child to get a little possessive if she were to walk in and see a new baby in mommy's arms for the first time. We'll give it a try. Not sure it's going to change the cycle of her emotions, but I do like it in theory and am willing to try anything.

2. My doula (like my friend Clare) recommended having a gift from the new baby to give my daughter. This helps the baby make a positive first impression.

3. She also suggested having a few nursing bags that have some special toys that my daughter could play with while I nurse - maybe a favorite book, a coloring book or any special toy that would keep her occupied. When you breastfeed, you bring out the bag. When you're done, you put it away. That way it keeps the toys or books special.

I love these ideas and will give them a shot. I'm not unrealistic about my expectations though and don't expect any miracles but why not try all the tricks in the book. I know whatever we do to ease the transition, it's going to be tough on our little girl. She'll think the baby is great for a few hours or so and then be ready for baby to go bye bye. If you have any suggestions on how to ease the transition on the first child, please post a comment or email me. I would love to hear tricks that worked for you!

If you live in Seattle....

I loved my doula and highly recommend her. She also does prenatal massage on a special pregnancy massage table that has adjustable holes in it so you can lie on your belly. It's a wonderful sensation after not being able to for months. If you're interested in speaking with her, email me and I will give you her information.

1 comment:

Mrs. Langeland said...

My pediatrician gave the best advice that worked so well when we introduced our second into the family.

He recommended that everytime I nurse the new baby, I call my three year old son over to "help." (I had him rub the babys hand to help keep her awake). I called him over, even if he was in the middle of playing or was in another room. This way, he felt very important, and a part of this special time.

It eliminated any feelings of lost effection or possessiveness that my son may have had.

Very soon, he lost interest and prefered to play instead of be my helper.

Our second child is nearly 18 months now and the children absolutely adore eachother.