Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Mandarin Salad

.


My mom hosted a little dinner party last night and made one of my favorite side salads that I'd completely forgotten about. I didn't have my camera so the picture was taken with my phone and clearly not that great, but at least you can see that it's quite a pretty salad with the bright orange mandarins against the green lettuce. Great recipe to have in your file.

Mandarin Salad

Salad:
2 heads romaine lettuce
1 small can mandarin oranges (well drained)
3/4 sliced green onion (or some red onion sliced thin)
1 pkg slivered almonds
2 T sugar

Dressing:
1/2 c olive oil
1/4 c white wine vinegar
1/4 c orange juice
2 T sugar
1 t salt
1/4 t pepper
dash of garlic salt

Place almonds and sugar in a small saucepan on medium heat. Stir until sugar melts and nuts are coated. Make sure to continue stirring so the sugar and nuts don't burn. Cool on a cookie sheet. Break apart if they've clumped together.

Make dressing. Use about half or so on the salad. The rest will last a few days in the refrigerator.

No comments: