Friday, October 30, 2009

A Good Reminder

My friend Sarah is reading Mitch Albom's new book "Have a Little Faith". We were talking about toddlers and their need for constant attention when she grabbed her book and read me a passage. I loved it. It was such a good reminder to slow down and quit multi-tasking all day long. The food I'm cooking and the laundry I'm doing can wait a few minutes. I need to give my daughter more undivided attention, especially right now while she's feeling a bit of a loss because my time is split between her and the new baby. I always like these little reminders. Maybe it will help you slow down too....

This story came from a Rabbi's sermon in 1958.

A little girl came home from school with a drawing she'd made in class. She danced into the kitchen, where her mother was preparing dinner.

"Mom, guess what?" she squealed, waving the drawing.

Her mother never looked up.

"What?" she said, tending to the pots.

"Guess what?" the child repeated, waving the drawing.

"What?" the mother said, tending to the plates.

"Mom, you're not listening."

"Sweetie, yes I am."

"Mom," the child said, "you're not listening with your eyes."

No comments: