Friday, October 30, 2009

My Food Ramblings


Since I get a kick out of planning my meals and always aim to make them efficient, tasteful, healthy and economical, I thought I would share some notes about this week's meals...

My friend Sarah recommended a fresh loaf of rosemary bread to go with the butternut squash soup I was making Tuesday for dinner. She had just eaten that combo and thought it worked well. As long as I was buying a loaf of rosemary bread, I wanted to use it up so I decided to grab a leek and some garbanzo beans and make Ceci Bruschetta to go with my soup. I made the appetizer instead of the arugula salad. It added more bulk to the meal, conveniently creating more leftovers for Wednesday's lunch, and we didn't waste any of the rosemary loaf.

I pushed off the arugula salad until Wednesday knowing it would pair nicely with my roast chicken and veggies. I used recipes from Martha's Cooking School cookbook as inspiration for those. Both were great and easy, other than the fact that I always undercook and then overcook my whole roast chicken. One day I will master that. I am determined.

I used the chicken carcass to make stock for my Avgolemono soup to serve Thursday night. I had leftover chicken for the soup too, and extra carrots from the bunch I bought for dinner Wednesday. I know making stock sounds like a lot of work, but it's as simple as throwing the carcass and some veggies in a pot with water and letting it cook all day. It's inexpensive and tastes much better than store-bought stock.

Today's lunch was leftovers from last night's dinner. Heaven. This might be my most well-planned week yet!

No comments: