Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Cell Phones & Cancer

.

While in LA, we got together with some friends, one of whom is a doctor. She mentioned that she just treated and ordered an MRI for a 24-year-old mother-of-two who has a huge brain tumor (5" in diameter). This spawned a lengthy conversation about why so many young people are getting brain tumors. We were all in agreement that some, if not all, of the cause must be cell phones. My other friend alleged that "cell phones will be the cigarettes of our time". I fear she's right.

I sure hope we're wrong considering how many hours I've clocked talking on my cell phone in the last 10 years. Ay Caramba!

That night I lay awake trying to think of how I could survive without my phone. Could I only use it for email and texting? Could I only use it if running late, and never for casual conversation? Could I get rid of it entirely? I decided I'd just be more strict with myself on how often I use it, and that I'd only use my home phone when I'm at home. No excuses. Well...

Last night I tuned into Larry King and what do you know, the topic is whether or not cell phones cause cancer. I only caught a few minutes of the show (and haven't yet read the transcripts entirely) but I did hear one guest say that the most recent study by the World Health Organization's International Agency for Research on Cancer, whose research was inconclusive, studied individuals whose average cell phone use was 2 hours per month. I want to know the effects of talking 2 hours per day, because yes(!), I am guilty of this. Between daily calls to my mom and husband, basic household calls and catching up with friends, yes, I'm guilty of an obscene amount of minutes. And no, I don't use a head-set or blue-tooth so I'm really in trouble. They also mentioned on the Larry King special that cordless phones could pose an even greater risk which now ruins my whole game-plan for how to get away from the cell phone. Double Ay Caramba!

Enter, old school land-line or rotary phone. The one with the long-ass cord that'll stretch across the kitchen. What will be the end of me first? A brain tumor or my sanity?

Now I'm not the best one to listen to (clearly), because I'm scared of everything... pesticides, genetically modified foods, PVCs, phthalates, parabens, BPA, mercury in fish, antibiotics being over-used on people and our food supply, the list goes on and on. But getting a brain tumor because I talk on the cell phone excessively is the new fear-of-choice to keep me up at night. Sweet dreams! I hope yours are much sweeter than mine.

A few interesting articles:
.
Mobile phones 'more dangerous than smoking'


1 comment:

Erika said...

We have an old-school phone (WITH cord) in the basement.....works just fine!