Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Spice-Rubbed Salmon

.




After three weeks of Olive Oil Poached Salmon, it was time for a new preparation for my weekly fish night. My friend Marly said she and her mom made an amazing new salmon recipe using a homemade rub. I tried it this week and it was a hit. Combine a really fresh piece of salmon with this rub and you will be amazed at the flavor. I loved the golden crust that formed on top, and it was perfectly matched with the delicate, fresh flavor of the fish. I followed the directions to the minute and it was cooked to perfection (not an easy thing to do with fish as I generally over or undercook it). The flavor was actually quite different than I expected and had a teensy bit of a Cajun flare. Now that I know what to expect, I might serve it with something that complements that Cajuny flavor a little better (ideas?). If you want to mix it up a bit, give this recipe a try. I really liked it.
.
Notes: You let the fish marinate for one hour so don't wait until dinnertime to start prepping. I had four fillets so I doubled the recipe for the rub. Recipe calls for a mortar and pestle or herb-grinder. I just use a coffee bean grinder that I have for black peppercorns. Worked like a charm.

Spice-Rubbed Salmon
.
1 tsp coriander seeds
1 tsp cumin seeds
1/2 tsp fennel seeds
1 tsp firmly packed light brown sugar
1 tsp kosher salt
2 salmon fillets, each 6-8oz with skin intact, pin bones removed
2 Tbs. extra virgin olive oil
.
Heat a small fry pan over medium-high heat. Put coriander, cumin and fennel seeds in pan; toast, stirring constantly, until golden brown and fragrant, 2-3 minutes. Grind spices in a spice grinder or in a mortar with a pestle. Transfer to a small bowl; stir in brown sugar and salt.

Place salmon, skin side down, on a plate; rub top of each fillet with spice mixture. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate 1 hour.
.
Preheat oven to 400 F.
.
In a large ovenproof fry pan over medium-high heat, warm olive oil until nearly smoking Place salmon, skin side up , in pan and sear 2 minutes. Carefully turn salmon over and transfer pan to oven. Cook until fish is golden brown underneath and flesh is opaque throughout, 5-6 minutes. Transfer salmon to warmed plates and serve immediately.

Serves 2.

1 comment:

Tara said...

I'll have to give that a try! Scott just came home from Alaska with 18 lbs of salmon and I need some ideas. I always use this rub http://www.saltys.com/store/index.cfm/product/8/saltyrsquos-blackening-spice.cfm It's sooo good, I could eat it plain -seriously! You know we share that odd obsession with good food.