Monday, October 11, 2010

New Fall Dinner in my Rotation

.
Friday night I made my recipe for Pasta with Prosciutto and Asparagus minus the asparagus since it's no longer in season. It's my version of a carbonara and one of my favorite recipes as of late. It's easy, fast and flavorful. A huge hit in my house. Serve with a veggie or salad and crostinis for a perfect dinner. I'm making this for the fourth week in a row if that tells you how much I like it.

And here are a few random cooking tips I was thinking about while making this dinner on Friday. No-brainers for some, but for those new to cooking these might be helpful tips.

- Throw your parmesan rinds in a bag in the freezer and use them to season soups. I throw it in ribollita, lentil soup and minestrone.

- Best way to peel garlic is the use the side of a large knife. Place the blade on top of the garlic and hold the handle with your right hand. With the palm of your left hand, pound down on the blade. It cracks the skin on the garlic and makes it really easy to peel.

- If making pasta, always get your water going before you start any prep work. Turn it to medium so when you're almost ready to go, just increase the heat to high and it's boiling in a minute or so. You never want to be waiting around for the water to boil.

- Anytime you have leftover bread (preferably a good baguette or fresh loaf), don't let it go stale and throw it away. Toss it in the food processor, then in a ziploc and onto the freezer. Next time a recipe calls for bread crumbs, reach for these instead of the store bought option.



No comments: