Tuesday, November 9, 2010

The Essential New York Times Cookbook

.


Last week I saw Amanda Hesser speak in Seattle promoting her new cookbook, The Essential New York Times Cookbook. I loved hearing from her about the process of writing such an extensive cookbook researching as far back as 150 years worth of New York Times recipes.

I wasn't home five minutes before I tore into the cookbook to mark page upon page of recipes to try. I kicked it off last night with Mashed Potatoes Anna and Elizabeth Frink's Roast Lemon Chicken. Both were easy and delicious. I served the meat and potatoes with Vij's Grilled Coconut Kale. Perfect dinner on a cold fall night.

This is one of those cookbook Bibles that covers it all. A great cookbook for a beginner taking their first stab at a simple roast chicken or an experienced cook looking for more challenging recipes like a Turkducken (a turkey stuffed with a duck stuffed with a chicken). I'm starting with the roast chicken. Stay tuned for a few years before a Turducken exits my oven.

Now off to cook...

.
.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Colleen, I'm so glad you and Marly came with me to see her. And I couldn't wait to cook from the book, either. Last night I made the stuffed, rolled eggplant (there's a name for it but it's escaping me)...they were really good!