Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Farmers Market Meal: Tagliatelle with Mushrooms & Sherry Cream Sauce

.
Sometimes I like to buy something at the farmers market that I've never cooked before to force myself to try new things. It also helps in my pursuit to eat seasonally and locally (and letting the available food dictate my meal planning, instead of my meal plan determining what I buy).
.
The mushrooms available right now (in our area) are Black Trumpets, Yellowfoot Chantrelles and Hedgehogs. I'm not that familiar with these three so I asked the lady selling them (at Foraged & Found Edibles) what to do with them. She gave me several ideas including things like sauteing the Hedgehogs with butter, spinach and onion and serving over quinoa. Never would have thought of that. I bought some of the Hedgehogs and Black Trumpets and went home to google for recipes. I found a recipe for Wild Mushroom Pasta with Sherried Cream Sauce from the chef at Seattle's Steelhead Diner to use as guidance. Here is what I came up with. Turned out great. I will be back for more mushrooms next week to make it again.

Serve with crostinis made from a great loaf of fresh bread (I love Tall Grass Bakery bread sold at the Ballard farmers market).

.
Wild Mushroom Pasta with Sherried Cream Sauce
Adapted from Anthony Polizzi's recipe

2 T olive oil
1 1/2 cups Black Trumpet mushrooms, cleaned
1 1/2 cups Hedgehog mushrooms, cleaned
1-2 T butter
2 T minced garlic (4-6 cloves)
3 T minced shallot (about one medium shallot)
salt & pepper
1 t thyme
1/3 cup dry sherry
1/2 - 1 cup chicken stock
1/3 cup heavy cream
1 T minced parsley
1 package fresh tagliatelle noodles (I love noodles from Pasteria Lucchese)
freshly grated parmesan

Clean your mushrooms with a dry brush or towel rather than water. If you use water, try to let them dry out before cooking with them.

Bring a large pot of water to a boil.

Heat olive oil in a large saute pan or braiser over medium-high heat. When oil is hot (or lightly smoking) add all of the mushrooms. Do not shake the pan rather allow the mushrooms to lightly roast. If the mushrooms are wet, allow the moisture to evaporate off. This will be recognizable when you see only oil on the bottom of the pan again. Reduce heat to medium and add another little sprinkle of olive oil and the butter. Add garlic and shallots and saute for a few minutes. Season with thyme, salt and pepper. Add sherry and deglaze the pan with the sherry using a wooden spoon to scrape up any bits on the pan's bottom. Add chicken stock and bring to a quick boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 5-10 minutes. Stir in heavy cream and parsley.

Add noodles to salted boiling water and cook according to package directions. Drain pasta (but do not shake to drain or rinse) and toss to coat with the sauce and season to taste. Divide amongst plates and garnish with parmesan.


No comments: