Tuesday, March 15, 2011

FoodPickle to the Rescue


Every once in awhile when I saute kale it has a fishy taste. I'm never sure what the cause is so I posted the question on Food Pickle. I didn't get an answer on the specific cause but I did get input on how others cook kale without a fishy flavor. One helpful cook, Pretty Peas, said that she sautés hers with onion, garlic, ginger, red pepper flakes and vinegar. Ooooh, ginger. I'm on a ginger kick. So I tried it tonight and it was great. It was the perfect accompaniment to the perfect meal...

Start with a large bowl. Spoon tofu fried rice into one side. Sprinkle with toasted sesame seeds and a squirt of Sriracha. Spoon sautéed kale into the other side. Top rice and kale with an egg cooked over-medium so it's a teense runny). Splash a little soy sauce over the egg and serve with chopsticks. I served that bowl of heavenly delight along with pancit. It's my every-pot-in-the-house-is-dirty-meal but in the end it's so worth it. I love this meal.

Sautéed Kale

Inspired by PrettyPeas via FoodPickle

1 T canola oil
1/2 yellow onion, chopped
2 T garlic, minced
1 T ginger, minced
few pinches of red pepper flakes
one bunch kale, rinsed well and roughly chopped
salt & pepper
few splashes red wine vinegar

Heat oil in a large pan over medium heat. Sauté onion until soft. Add garlic and ginger and saute for several more minutes. Add red chili flakes and kale. Sauté for roughly 5 minutes. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. When it's almost done, add a few splashes of vinegar. Let simmer until ready to serve.
.

No comments: