Monday, June 27, 2011

Creamy, Brothy, Earthy, Hearty

.
.
Great soup inspiration from Mark Bittman. I love how he is really simplifying recipes like this and showing how easy it is to make delicious food without a lot of prep or ingredients.



The pathetic thing is that this article is from March 3rd and I literally just read it a few days ago. Could I be more backed up in my reading?
 
I did just clear out my veggie drawer this morning and made a delicious veggie stock to use for soups. Can't wait to try some of his simple ones.  
 
C's Homemade Veggie Stock
 
1 yellow onion, quartered
1/2 head of garlic, cut in half lengthwise
3 carrots, chopped large
3 celery stalks, chopped large
leftover fennel scraps (1 or 2 cups worth), rough chop
1/2 t whole peppercorns (only use whole peppercorns, never ground)
1 bay leaf
few sprigs lemon thyme
few sprigs parsley
 
Throw it in a pot, fill it with water, bring it to a boil, simmer for 1-3 hours.

Strain it through a fine sieve. I like to squeeze the veggies to release as much liquid as possible, then re-strain. Use, refrigerate or freeze.
 
EASY!
 

No comments: