Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Shout Out of The Day: Vegetarian Cooking Classes with Dana Wootton

.
My sister-in-law told me about a cooking class that she knew would be right up my alley. The classes, taught by Dana Wootton, offer great vegetarian recipes, lots of cooking tips, the food is delicious, and the wine flows. I didn't waste a minute and not only signed myself up for a class, but got a whole group of friends to do it with me. All the more fun, and a great girls night out.
Dana (who funny enough was one of the best yoga teachers I ever took from until she moved to London like 8 years ago) was born to teach. She has such a great energy about her and has so much knowledge to share. We all learned a ton - new recipes, techniques, cooking tips, and more. I'd go as far as to say it was the best cooking class I've ever taken. We learned an appetizer, soup, salad, savory pie, two vegetables and a dessert. We ate our hearts out, drank lots of good wine and laughed a ton. A perfect evening.

I think a cooking class is a true success when you actually make the recipes you were taught. I've already made the soup and savory pie three times each, and the salad once. I've cooked Dana's recipes for my family and for dinner guests, and everyone loved them. The melon soup tastes to me like something you'd have at a fancy pants restaurant, and the pie is a perfect slice of summer for dinner.

(Side note: I started this post a month ago but I'm slow to get things posted. Sadly, corn, tomatoes and melon aren't in peak season anymore. You can still find all three at the farmers market or grocery store but they aren't as sweet and delicious. Tuck the soup and pie recipe away for next year when these key ingredients pop up again. You won't be sorry!

At the class I learned that Dana writes a blog called Dana Treat. I've been perusing the recipe index and salivating over the photos of her vegetarian dishes and yummy desserts. I cannot wait to try all of her lentil dishes, soups and more. Stay tuned. I'll keep you posted on what's cookin' in my kitchen, straight from her blog.

Here are three of the delicious recipes we made at her class that I especially loved and have been making...

(Also, in the last month I've taken another great cooking class with Dana. The highlights for me were the Wild Mushroom Risotto and the Maple Roasted Delicata Squash. I'll link to these recipes if they show up on her blog.)
.
.

1 comment:

Dana said...

Oh! You are so sweet. You guys were SO GREAT to have in class and I could not be more thrilled to be re-connected with you. xo