Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Spice It Up

/
/
Every time I take a cooking class I'm reminded of how often you should change out your spices. It reminds me that I have a few Penzeys Spices in the cupboard that were a wedding gift..... 7+ years ago!

I usually get spices in bulk from PCC or Whole Foods but I've been dying to stock up at Market Spice in Pike Place Market. I know their quality is said to be unsurpassed. I made it down to the store this fall and loaded up on all my regular spices and got small bags of some of the more unique flavors that I use every so often. It is especially smart to buy in bulk for these rare spices that you barely ever cook with. Why spend $6 on a jar when you can spend 50 cents?! If you need 5 or 6 new spices for a recipe, that adds up. It's also nice to have smaller quantities because then you know your spices are fresh. What spice is going to pack the same punch after 7 years in a cupboard?!

I re-use my jars and just mark the date on the bottom so I know when I last replaced each spice.

Market Spice is also famous for their Cinnamon Orange Tea. There is nothing more cozy than a cup of this on a cold afternoon.

A gift card to Market Spice would be a great Christmas gift or stocking stuffer for someone who loves to cook.
.

No comments: