Tuesday, December 6, 2011

The Way to a Man's Heart...

.

.
I needed to bring an appetizer for a cocktail party this past weekend and couldn't settle on what to make. The host mentioned that her husband always wished there was more guy food for the men at the party. Mission accepted. A man appetizer it is.

I couldn't settle on what to make so I asked around for some ideas. My friend Ali suggested little sandwiches like mini BLTs or roast beef with horseradish and arugula. Genius. I also thought little pork tenderloin sandwiches would be good, and since I'm crazy(!) I made all three versions (plus a brie appetizer because I was craving it). The sandwiches were a hit. I had two huge platters of mini sandwiches and every last one was gone by the end of the night.

I bought Marination's Nunya Sauce at Delaurenti in Pike Place for the BLTs. It was a great twist on a classic BLT. I also did some BLTs with homemade garlic aioli sauce. Those were good too but the Nunya Sauce was the best.

These recipes would be good for dinner, Superbowl parties, tailgates, cocktail parties or any other type of entertaining, especially where men will be circling an appetizer table looking for something more than cheese and crackers.


Party BLTs

Good bacon
Tomatoes, as good as you can find this time of year
Butter lettuce
Good bread (I bought Grand Central sliced Como bread)
Nunya sauce or garlic aioli

I like to cook bacon in the oven on a wire rack atop a cookie sheet (thanks to Ina). I cook it at 425 for 15-25 minutes depending on the size and thickness of the slices.

I slice my tomatoes, then lay them out and sprinkle with salt and pepper. I think it adds a little to the flavor of the sandwich.

Toast the bread slightly and cut off the crusts. Slather with Nunya sauce or garlic aioli. Then top with bacon, tomatoes, and butter lettuce. Cut sandwiches in thirds and stick with a toothpick.


Ali's Roast Beef Sannies

Baguette
Roast beef
Horseradish mayo *
Arugula

Slice the baguette in half. Slather with the horseradish mayo. Top with roast beef and arugula. Put the top piece of bread back on and cut into 1.5-2" slices. Stick with a toothpick to keep them together.

* I bought a horseradish sauce and mixed it with mayo, salt and pepper.
.
.
Mini Grilled Pork Sliders

Follow this recipe for Pork Sandwiches. You can use pesto or the Nunya sauce. Of course I tried both and both were great. I skipped the tomato. Assemble the sandwiches and cut in half. Stick with a toothpick and serve.
.

No comments: