Friday, March 2, 2012

Guy's Chipotle Sausage Hero Sandwich

.


Our friend Guy used to do a food truck in New York City called "Happy Food Factory" selling vegan Hero Sandwiches as a launching point for opening up some vegan restaurants. He's been raving about these sandwiches since I met him and Thursday night he offered to come over and make them for us. These bad boys were deeeeeeeeeeelicious. I made them again Friday night because of course I had to have one again immediately.

He served a cold corn salad on the side. It was a great complement to the hot and spicy sandwich. If you make these, make the corn salad first and refrigerate so it gets cold.

I'm not highlighting the fact that these sandwiches are vegan because I think it will deter some people from making them (Jen Norris). Don't be turned off by the Vegan Field Roast Mexican Chipotle Sausage. These sandwiches are delicious, flavorful and filling. I will put these on the menu at my healthy cafe if I ever open it. My husband and I gobbled up every last bite. Well, maybe not every last. I had to leave something on the plate so I wouldn't feel like a hog.




Guy's NYC Vegan Hero Sandwich 
Serves 4

1 package Field Roast Mexican Chipotle Sausage
2 yellow onions
1 jar of sliced pepperoncinis
1 small bottle of sun dried tomato spread (I couldn't find spread so I bought sun dried tomato hummus which worked fine)
1 head of radicchio, sliced thin
2 loaves of Italian or French Bread (preferably not too narrow, wide enough to make a decent sandwich)


Cut the onion in half and then into slices. Saute in olive oil until soft, being careful not to burn. Set aside. Cut the sausage lengthwise and cook in a bit of olive oil until there are browned on the top and bottom and there is a nice crisp to it. When done, add onions to pan to re-heat. Cut the bread almost all the way through. Open and cover with sun dried tomato spread (not too much or it will get soggy). Add a layer of shredded radicchio and top with pepperoncini rings. Add two sausage halves to each sandwich along with some onions. Close the sandwich and serve warm with corn salad.

Corn Salad

2 cans of corn (organic!)
1T minced yellow onion 
1T of sesame oil 
1 1/2 T white vinegar (rice vinegar if you don't have plain white vinegar

Combined ingredients and put in the fridge.
.

No comments: