Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Banana Muffins




One of my very first posts was about my grandma's banana muffins. I love them. Ever since my friend Shannon revised my zucchini bread recipe and made it a bit healthier, I've been thinking I should do the same with these. Not knowing how, I reached out to my friend Marion and she gave me some simple adjustments to make them healthier without sacrificing their great flavor. Just made these and they are delicious. I did 3 versions (of course)... 1/3 plain, 1/3 with chocolate chops and 1/3 with chopped walnuts. The plain ones turned are great so I imagine the others are even better. We'll eat plain or nut for breakfast and chocolate chip for dessert. My kids go crazy for this stuff.


Grandma Tess's Banana Muffins
Adapted by Marion

1/4 c butter
1/4 c coconut oil (or a little less even)
1 c sugar (or a little less even)
1/2 cup apple sauce
2 eggs beaten
1 c white flour
3/4 c whole wheat flour
1/4 almond flour/meal
1/2 t salt
1 t baking powder
3/4 t baking soda
1/4 c almond milk 
1/2 t lemon juice
1 c mashed over-ripe banana
1 t vanilla
½ c nuts, optional
½ c chocolate chips, optional

Mix in order given. Butter muffin pans or use paper muffin cups. Fill muffin pans 2/3 full (you might end up with extra batter but don’t fill tins too high). Bake at 375 for 18-20 minutes.

This batter made 18 muffins for me. 

No comments: