Sunday, September 14, 2008

mmmmm Roasted Chicken

How do I love thee? Let me count the ways...

1) Most recipes for roasted chicken are pretty quick to prepare and fool-proof. The trick is just getting the timing right so it's not overcooked.
2) It always makes a delicious and flavorful dinner.
3) It's great comfort food when fall is in the air.
4) LEFTOVERS!
5) I make homemade chicken stock the next day, which I use in a quick homemade chicken noodle soup. There is nothing better than 100% homemade chicken noodle soup!

This week I made Ina's Lemon Chicken with Croutons and loved it. Easy and very good.

Homemade chicken stock is way easier than you'd think. You throw the carcass in a pot with an onion, carrot, celery, garlic, some herbs (thyme, parsley), peppercorns and kosher salt. You literally cut the veggies in huge chunks so it takes about 2 minutes to prep. Throw it all in a pot, cover with water, bring to a boil, turn down and simmer for a few hours. I use the recipe from Ina and Tyler Florence as a road map but I am always using one carcass (versus a whole chicken) so I adjust the quantities.
bbb
I love Tyler Florence's homemade chicken noodle soup recipe. It's basically the same things you use for the stock, except you chop everything and saute it (onion, garlic, carrot, celery, thyme, parsley). I add zucchini as well and cook a chicken breast Ina-style (bone in, skin on, olive oil, salt, pepper, bake for 35 minutes) then shred it and toss it in. It is so good. My 15 month old daughter gobbles it up and drinks the broth out of a glass. Good stuff.

Bon appetite!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

made this tonight - I just used chicken pieces though, didn't use a whole chicken, takes way less time and way easier to tell when its done. So, I sliced lemon slices and placed them on top of the chicken right before cooking - verses putting them up the chicken!Next time, may add some thyme though. It was super super good!!!

Colleen Terpening said...

Great suggestion. I will try that next time for sure! Did it still provide enough drippings for the big croutons? P.S. How good were those?! :)

Anonymous said...

Yes, totally enough. Love the croutons!