Wednesday, October 29, 2008

"Wich of the Week"


I just might have to take a quick trip down to San Fran to get my hands on one of these famous Ike's Place sandwiches. My friend Jen said this is one of her favorite places to eat and you can see why. I was salivating while reading the YumSugar posting about the selection of sandwiches. And the bread, oh the baked to order bread. Are you kidding me? I think Ike needs to open a sister restaurant in Seattle, or I might have to move to San Fran for a short stint. I am a sandwich die-hard and can't stand the thought of not getting my mitts on one of these.

No? Can't move? Can't fly down for a quick jaunt? Well then, maybe we'll all just have to settle for this recipe from YumSugar inspired by a sandwhich special at Ike's.

Salami and Bacon on Dutch Crunch
Inspired by Ike's Place

1 Dutch crunch or French roll

2 tablespoons of garlic aioli
2-3 slices of cheddar cheese
Thinly sliced red onion, to taste
1/4 cup iceberg lettuce, shredded
1/2 avocado, sliced
3 slices of tomato, thinly sliced
8 slices of high-quality salami
6 strips of bacon, cooked

Preheat oven to 350°F. Slice Dutch crunch or French roll in half horizontally, and coat the inside of the roll on both sides with garlic aioli. Lay sliced cheddar on bottom half, and toast in the oven for 5 minutes or until cheese is melted. Remove from oven. On top of the cheese, arrange onions, lettuce, avocado, tomato, salami, and bacon. Place the top half of the roll onto the stack of ingredients, cut in half, and serve immediately. Makes one sandwich.

No comments: