Wednesday, June 17, 2009

A New Twist on Old Fashioned Oats


I love the blog Everybody Likes Sandwiches, especially for her breakfast recipes. I saw this one for toasted oats with berries & yogurt recently and thought it sounded yummy. I used it as inspiration for my own version. It was a nice change of pace from my usual breakfast options. My daughter gobbled it up too!

Toasted Oats with Strawberries & Milk
Adapted from Everybody Likes Sandwiches

1 c old fashioned oats
1 t brown sugar
1 T honey
2 T shredded coconut
1 T sliced almonds
nonfat milk
fresh strawberries, sliced

Turn on your oven's broiler. Cover a baking sheet with parchment paper. In a bowl, combine the oats, brown sugar and honey, then spread it evenly over the baking sheet. Bake for 2 minutes on the middle or upper-middle rack, checking frequently so that nothing burns. Remove from oven and sprinkle with coconut and almonds and bake again for another few minutes... again checking frequently. You want golden, not burnt. Remove from oven. Divide oat mixture evenly between two bowls and top with milk and strawberries.

No comments: