Sunday, July 12, 2009

The Regulars - Part 3

Still going strong with my addiction to black bean green enchiladas. I've been making them so often that I've been fiddling with the recipe and thought I would share some new variations.

I mentioned in a recent post that I like to add shredded zucchini to my black bean mixture to add more nutritional value and sneak a green veggie into my daughter's mouth. I have also been adding chopped spinach for those same reasons. This last time I also used some leftover canned tomatoes from another recipe. I chopped up the tomatoes and included a lot of the juice. You get the wonderful health benefits from the tomatoes (so good for you!) and you get rid of all the excess liquid when you strain the beans. I'll be adding those a lot more often.

My friend Amy makes these on a regular basis and adds shredded chicken. Great addition if you want more protein. I do that from time to time as well.


Whenever I add anything to my black bean mixture I just make sure to add a lot of extra seasoning (cumin, salt, pepper, garlic salt, paprika, hot sauce, etc).

I also mix it up and use red enchilada sauce sometimes. I generally use Hatch Green Enchilada Sauce but lately I have been using their red enchilada sauce. This last time I tried a new brand called Sweet Creek that's bottled (instead of canned) and organic. It was delicious and something I will definitely buy again.

No comments: