Thursday, July 16, 2009

Tips for Saving on Groceries

Photo courtesy of RecipePedia

I've been talking to friends a lot lately about the cost of food and how expensive it is these days. I've learned a lot of tricks while trying to eat the best quality food without breaking the bank. These aren't huge saving tips but every little bit counts.

Buy fruits and vegetables that are in season. You will get more bang for your buck buying Washington apples (if you live in Washington) when in season rather than Kiwi from Argentina or Strawberries from Chile. And food just tastes better when it's in season.

Shop at your local Farmers Markets. You have no choice but to shop seasonally if you frequent the farmers markets in your community. The Seattle Farmers Market has some interesting information on their website about whether it is really more expensive to shop at the markets.
.
Make a weekly meal planner. I make a meal planner every Sunday and then create my grocery list from that. It saves me TONS of money. I buy what I need. I don't buy a lot of snack foods because they aren't on my grocery list and we don't need them. I used to buy extra veggies with great intentions and we'd never get through them all so they'd go bad. Groceries are expensive enough, you don't want to be wasting produce or other items.
.
Buy in bulk. I shop in the bulk department a lot more than I used to. Bulk spices, grains, nuts and dried fruit are much more cost effective when purchased in the bulk bins. For example, I bought 8 bay leaves from the bulk food herb section at Whole Foods. The bag was so light that it didn't register on the scale so the cashier charged me 10 cents. You may get a few more bay leaves in the jar but it's going to cost you $5-6. I bought cumin in bulk to refill my empty jar. I filled my jar and had extra for $2.62 whereas the regular jarred cumin is again, $5-6. This is also the route to go when you need an uncommon spice that you don't cook with much. Why spend $5 on the whole jar when you only need a teaspoon for your recipe. Buy oatmeal and raisins in bulk rather than buying the individual packs or name-brands. It is cheaper and better on the environment to avoid all that excess packaging. Buying beans in the bulk food section is another healthier and cheaper alternative to canned beans. This is one thing I don't do but should.
.
Plan for leftovers. I stretch my food. I generally make more than enough dinner so I have leftovers the next day for lunch. If I make tacos, I always make extra meat. That way we can use up the tortillas, sour cream, cheese, cilantro, lettuce, etc. I might even do quesadillas or breakfast burritos one day to get through all the taco accompaniments. If I have leftover zucchini, spinach or canned tomatoes I use them in my black bean mix for enchiladas. If you can't finish a good baguette before it goes stale, make croutons or bread crumbs. Leftover goat cheese or cream cheese is great cooked with eggs. Leftover ricotta can be used for pancakes. If you have to buy a specialty item for a recipe (sun-dried tomatoes for example), think of another meal for that week (or the next) that could use them (pasta, chicken, pizza). There's nothing worse than seeing an expensive item go bad in your fridge after weeks of not needing it. If you have veggies that are about to go bad, make a quick pot of veggie stock. It takes minutes to prep and will save you money down the road when you need some.
.
Buy whole chickens or bone-in, skin-on chicken breast. Buy a whole chicken. Roast it one night for dinner, then use the leftover meat for lunch or dinner the next day (chicken caesar salad, chicken sandwiches, enchiladas, etc) and use the carcass to make stock. Buy bone-in, skin-on chicken breasts. They can be as much as $3 cheaper per pound and they taste better when baked. Ina taught me that!

Eat less meat. It's good for your health, the environment, and your wallet to eat less meat.
.
Think ahead. Look through your fridge and pantry before you go to the store so you don't accidentally buy things you already have.
.
Watch for sales. I buy a lot of canned tomatoes and canned beans so when they're on sale, I load up. I do the same with toothpaste, hand soap or other toiletries when they go on sale. Every little bit counts.
.
Think about your non-food items too. Buy some reusable bowl covers so you don't go through as much plastic wrap or aluminum foil. Use old sour cream or large yogurt containers instead of Ziploc bags. Use wash cloths in the sink instead of sponges and kitchen towels instead of paper towels. Those items affect your grocery bill so avoid them when you can.
.
These tricks have helped me save money week after week when I grocery shop. I hope they help you too. And please share your ideas on how to save money on groceries! I would love more ideas.

2 comments:

Jen said...

Your post is exactly what I've been fighting about with my boyfriend! Thanks for the hints... I especially like the "buy in bulk" - I should do that more for specialty items.

Anonymous said...

Great tips! Thanks for your awesome blog and happy 1 year blog anniversary!

PS - made the halibut tacos this week and did the Ina green goddess salad last night! Keep them coming!
Michele C