Monday, November 1, 2010

My Bubbly Sweet-tart

. .

Two weeks ago I turned 36 and I kicked off my birthday celebrations with my current cocktail of choice... the French 75. It's a classic cocktail created in 1915 at the Paris landmark, Harry's New York Bar. It's a perfect creation in my opinion... a little bit bubbly, a little bit sweet, a little bit tart. I had my first ever at Tavern Law and it was divine. Thank you Tavern Law for introducing us!
.
Recipes for a French 75 include lemon juice, gin or cognac (I prefer gin), champagne and either powdered sugar, superfine sugar or simple syrup. Any way you shake it, I'm sure it's delicious. Here are three versions to try.

.
Epicurious
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1 tablespoon powdered sugar
2 ounces gin
3 ounces plus 1 tablespoon chilled Champagne
lemon peel for garnish

.
Esquire
2 ounces London dry gin
1 teaspoon superfine sugar
1/2 ounce lemon juice
5 ounces Brut champagne

.
Wikipedia
Two oz. Cognac (or London Dry Gin)
1/2 oz. simple syrup (or 1 tsp. superfine sugar)
1 oz. lemon juice (in some versions)
Brut Champagne or other dry sparkling wine

.

No comments: