Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Easy Breakfast: Apple Cinnamon Raisin Oatmeal

.
I was trying to figure out how to get my kids to eat oatmeal since it's a healthy breakfast option. I didn't want to add a bunch of sugar and butter to make it taste good so I got creative. For every cup of dry old fashioned rolled oats I use one full apple. I quarter it, core it, and then grate it on a microplane into the pan when the oatmeal is almost ready. It makes the oatmeal really sweet, naturally, without sugar. Then I add raisins and some cinnamon and top with a little milk (preferably steamed or warmed). Both kids gobble it up every time, as do my husband and I.

Another trick is to make extra. The next morning all you have to do it re-heat it in a sauce pan with some butter or milk and breakfast is ready in 2 minutes flat.

Any quick and/or healthy breakfast ideas for me? Please share!

.

No comments: