Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Farmers Market Meal: Butterflied Chicken with Cracked Spices

.


I've been dying to try this recipe for Butterflied Chicken with Cracked Spices. It's been on my list since May so with my New Years resolution, to get through my Eat, Shop, See, Make, Read list, I'm tackling at least one new recipe a week.

I bought a perfect little 3.7lb fresh chicken at the farmers market (courtesy of Stokesberry Sustainable Farms) and butterflied that bird to perfection. That was a huge feat since a week ago when I made Gwyneth's Quick Roast Chicken and had to butterfly a chicken for the first time it practically took me longer to cut the back out than it did to cook the darn thing (which made me feel like a complete loser). GP does it on the video in 20 seconds flat so I knew I could shave off say, 10 minutes if I kept at it. I think I did it this time in a few minutes. A huge improvement.

I cooked this recipe for Butterflied Chicken with Cracked Spices with the oven option (rather than the grill) and it turned out great. I served it with Coconut Rice (using the recipe from the first comment), Ina's Roasted Carrots and steamed broccoli (healthy) with bouillon and lots of butter (unhealthy). It was a nice change of pace to have the new flavors on the chicken along with the new coconut rice recipe.
I'm dying to make the rice again with a big pot of chicken curry. It was really begging to be smothered in a curry sauce. I'll also make this chicken dish again for sure. Easy and delicious.

After dinner I pulled off the rest of the meat for leftovers and threw the carcass in a pot with some veggies for another round of chicken stock for soup. Not bad for one little 3.8lb bird.

Never butterflied a bird before? Watch Gwyneth's clip or look at this diagram below. I wish you better luck than I had my first time.



.

No comments: