Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Why Bake a Chicken Breast? Let Me Count the Ways

.
I find that I'm always baking chicken breasts to have on hand for meals. I tend to buy frozen chicken breasts at the farmers market which are boneless, skin-on breasts. I throw them in the fridge a day or two before I want to bake them to let them thaw. If you're buying chicken at the grocery store, may I recommend bone-in, skin-on. I think it makes for the most flavorful, least dry, baked chicken breast.

I rinse the chicken and throw it in a baking dish with olive oil, salt and pepper. Bake at 350 for 25-45 minutes depending on size. You can shred, cube or slice it for any of these recipes or whatever else you can think of.

This isn't fancy cooking but it is good family meals for a gal like me. Do you bake chicken for simple recipes? Would love to hear about them!


SLICE IT

Chicken Caesar Dinner

A homemade caesar dressing or great store bought one is a must but equally important in my opinion is fresh lemon juice, freshly ground black pepper, freshly grated parmesan and good croutons (homemade preferably). Chicken caesar dinner is a regular in our house.

Chicken Sandwiches

My husband and I love a good chicken sandwich. It's reminiscent of leftover turkey sandwiches. Serve on "the best bread ever" (Old Mill Oat Bran), or a good fresh loaf from your local grocery store or bakery. We like it simple: mayo, mustard, lettuce, cheese. Simple and delicious.

SHRED IT

Quesadillas

I like to use shredded chicken for quesadillas. Everyone in the family gobbles them up. I use flour tortillas, cheddar cheese, shredded chicken, black beans and olives. Cook over medium heat on the stove top in any type of saute pan or braiser. Sour cream and salsa optional.

Soup & Enchiladas

Use shredded chicken for Ina's Mexican Chicken Soup or Tyler Florence's Chicken Enchiladas. When I bake chicken for these, I season it with cumin before baking as well. I also use shredded chicken for my Avgolemono Soup. A hearty fall dinner with other Greek sides (hummus, pita, olives, dolmades).

Wraps

If you're looking for a way to mix it up, try Ina's Curried Chicken Wraps.

CUBE IT

Chicken Noodle Soup

I've been making Chicken Noodle Soup lately and it's great with homemade stock and cubed chicken.

Chop Salad

Cubed chicken is great for a classic Chop Salad.

Sandwiches

If you're not afraid of some mayo, I recommend Ina's Chicken Salad Sandwiches. If you're hosting a lunch, shower, or tea, try these Curried Chicken Tea Sandwiches.

No comments: